SubmitLinkURL Web Directory

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Dress Smart Yet Casual-Q&A


Q: I’m starting a new job and the dress code is smart-casual -- what does that mean and how do I dress for it?   

A: Smart, dressed down, business casual. Call it what you want, the demise of 9-to-5 suit-and-tie style has left a sea of office dressing don'ts in its wake. On the plus side, it sounds like the laid-back powers that be in your personnel department have given the green light for jeans. But rather than going down-market like your clothing-challenged colleagues, keep your denim dark and dress it up with blazers, button-downs and slim-lined neckties.   

Credit: Macy'sQ: I’ve been told over and over about the importance of watches to guys who want to move up the corporate ladder. Problem is, I’m at the bottom of the ladder and need a watch that pulls off that look on a budget. What should I look for?   

A: Lucky for you, less expensive sporty watches have weaseled their way into the boardroom. Nowadays, you no longer need a pricey pearl face on a crocodile band. Just make sure your timepiece straddles the line between work and play. You never want to look like you’re ready to go deep-sea diving while reviewing budgets with the boss.   

Credit: Macy'sQ: I just turned 30 and am starting to get nervous about aging. What products should I be using right away to battle the sands of time?   

A: In this day and age, it seems silly to recommend moisturizer (we’re hoping everyone got the message on that one already). But for the holdouts, we suggest one with SPF for staving off the George Hamilton glow. You could also toss on a nightly eye cream to lighten your baggage later in life.   

Credit: Macy'sQ: I walk a lot, so a lot of more formal shoes don’t work out for me, but I still like to look on the upper end of casual chic. What would be a good shoe for me?   

A: Chances are, if your feet ache after pounding the pavement, your shoes aren’t the right size, are poorly made, or both. A good pair of dress lace-ups with a meaty midsole and a rubber bottom should afford you the ability to sprint to a client meeting or an after-hours event with little more hurt than a huff and a puff.   



Q: I’m 5’6” and on the plumpish side. What should I be looking for in terms of a trenchcoat that flatters my frame? 

A: The problem with most trench coats is that they look like brown paper bags. Regardless of your shape or size, a proper one should cinch at the waist, go no longer than your knee, and be tailored to the point that it fits like your favorite sport coat.  

Q: I’m looking for fall/winter hat options that won’t screw up my hairstyle before I get to where I’m going -- any suggestions?

A: Unless you’re blessed with Bond hair that doesn’t budge in a near-death nuclear explosion, your hair is bound to be bulldozed by shoving it under a ski cap, fedora, newsboy, or frankly, any head covering at all. The only solution is to either commit to wearing your hat all day long or cut your coif close enough to the scalp so that no damage can be done.

1 comment:

  1. True..btw many problems people face is how to dress well in the office and still go raving with the same outfit

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment.